ATF Warns Over Spread Of Untraceable DIY 'Ghost Guns'
Across the United States, mainstream network affiliates (local broadcasters) are frantically publishing stories and reports concerning law enforcement struggle to combat unregulated, DIY “ghost guns.” A ghost gun is a firearm without a serial number. It is lethal, untraceable, and perfectly legal, which has federal and state officials terrified that more and more Americans are building these killing machines in their own homes.
Perhaps the surging popularity of Ghost Guns is explainable. The same way Americans do not like corporations and U.S. intelligence agencies examining their emails and texts; they are now demanding weapon privacy. This is an astonishing shift in how the political frustrations of the everyday American are festering into an alarming trend.
Federal and State law enforcement agencies describe these do-it-yourself weapons as a Ghost Gun. It is relatively simple, with a few clicks online, anyone can fill a shopping cart with the components to build an assault-style rifle. There is no background check nor identification needed to purchase a Ghost gun.
The lower receiver, which is the only part legally considered a gun by U.S. Law, can be completed from an “80% receiver” lawfully purchased online. The remaining 20% of work must be achieved using a standard drill press or machine tools available at a neighborhood Home Depot. Once the lower receiver is milled, the gun can then be assembled. Total build-out time is somewhere between two to three hours, and presto, an assault-style rifle that the government has no idea exists.
Recently, a CBS news team documented how they purchased a Ghost Gun from a website and assembled it within a few hours.
“It’s not going to take a tremendous amount of gunsmithing skills,” said Scott Reitz, a retired Los Angeles Police Department SWAT officer.
Reitz agreed to supervise the CBS news team while a Glock 9mm with no serial numbers was being milled. All the news team had to do was follow simple directions on YouTube, which took less than three hours to complete. Once the gun was assembled, Reitz ran the Ghost Gun through a series of firing tests, where he deemed the weapon operational.
CBS says countless websites across the internet offer Ghost Gun kits for everything from handguns to the most popular assault rifles.
“They’re trying to appeal to a certain segment of the population,” said Dave Hamilton, senior special agent for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). “Felons who can’t go to a gun store and legally purchase a firearm, or people who just don’t want the government knowing what type of firearms they have.”
“There’s nothing the ATF can do,” said Ginger Colbrun, with the ATF’s Southern California Public Information Office. “These firearms are with gang members, these firearms are being are being found at various crime scenes all over the country.”
“ATF can’t go shut down the people who are selling these parts because these parts are not regulated,” said Colbrun.
“It’s really up to those companies to be responsible,” Colbrun said. “They’re the ones that are going to have to live with themselves.”
YouTuber shows how easy it is to build a Ghost Gun AR-15 assault rifle in a step-by-step tutorial: https://hooktube.com/watch?v=4Vii8yK-Vq8https://archive.fo/L5blUhttps://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-15/atf-warns-over-spread-untraceable-diy-ghost-guns